- About Us
- Courses & Events
- General Weapons Competency
- Training Packages – For Civilians
- Come & Try
- Gift Vouchers
- My account
Turkish authorities have arrested two Chinese citizens in relation to the mass shooting at a night club in Istanbul on New Year’s Eve, reported BGNES.
The detainees are Uyghurs – a Turkic ethnic group in northwest China.The authorities reckon that the detainees are members of Islamic state. They were arrested on charges of being members of a terrorist organisation, the purchase of illegal weapons and being accomplices in the murder of 39 people.
The person who carried out the crime is still at large. The authorities think that he is also an Uyghur.
At least 35 people have been detained so far in relation to the attack.
Islamic state claimed responsibility for the shooting.
Anis Amri who ran over 12 people with a truck at a Christmas bazaar in Berlin, crossed Brussels while fleeing the crime scene, reported Belgium’s Prosecutor’s Office, reported BNR.
Amri was recognised from video tapes on the Northern railway station in the Belgian capital.The suspect showed up on the video surveillance tapes on the night of December 21 – two days after the attack. Amri stayed in Brussels for about two hours. It is yet to be discovered whether he was in touch with someone.
According to the information, the terrorist arrived to Brussels from Amsterdam. After that, he moved from France onto Italy and got shot by the police during a routine inspection.
Somehow, Amri managed to get though Holland, Belgium, France and Italy, while still carrying the gun, which he used to kill the driver of the truck used in the attack in Berlin.
Terrorism ‘first-aid training needed’By Smitha Mundasad
AID aims to help the public save lives before the professionals arrivePeople need to learn lifesaving skills in case they are caught up in a terror attack in the UK, a team of senior military and civilian medics has said.
They say people need to know how to help each other because it could take some time before it is deemed safe for paramedics to arrive on the scene.Their app, called CitizenAID, offers step-by-step advice.
The idea is supported by counter-terrorism police. Security services say a UK terror attack is highly likely.’Run, hide, tell’
Although an individual’s chance of being caught up in an incident is small, Brig Tim Hodgetts and Prof Sir Keith Porter, co-developers of CitizenAID, say it is a good idea for people to have a plan and the knowledge and skills to help each other.
Their app, pocket book and website suggest how best to deal with injuries in the immediate aftermath of a mass shooting or bombing incident.
The system includes instructions on how to treat severe bleeding – one of the major causes of death in these scenarios.It guides people through packing, putting pressure on and elevating a wound, and how to use a tourniquet safely, for example.
The programme also explains how to prioritise those who need treatment first and what to tell the emergency services once they arrive.
CitizenAID is not a government initiative but its developers say it builds on national advice from national counter-terrorism police to: Run away in the event of an incident if you canHide if you can’t runTell the emergency services.
The system describes how to make a tourniquet out of a scarf to help stop bleeding
Battlefield lessonsThe CitizenAID system says people should follow these steps and then go one step further. It suggests once people are safe, they should start treating casualties.
Ch Insp Richard Harding, head of the National Counter Terrorism Security Office, told the BBC: “One of the challenges we have is that when a serious incident, particularly a terrorist incident occurs, the first responders from a police perspective to a terrorist incident will inevitably be trying to deal with the people causing the threat.
“They won’t have time to deal with the people who are injured and that gap is vital to saving people’s lives.
“So we are really interested in the concept of CitizenAID. It allows the public and people involved in very rare incidents like this to help themselves and help others and their loved ones survive the situation.”
According to its founders, CitizenAID builds on lessons learnt on the battlefield.Sir Keith Porter, professor of clinical traumatology at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, told the BBC: “I have treated hundreds of soldiers whose lives have been saved by simply the applications of tourniquets when they have been shot or blown up. Teaching individual soldiers these skills has saved lives.”And I think it is essential we train the public in those skills and that is exactly what CitizenAID does.”‘
Right decisions’Brig Tim Hodgetts, medical director of the Defence Medical Services, told the BBC; “We don’t know when the next incident will be that will involve blasts or gunshots so we need a critical mass of the general public to learn these first aid skills.”They are the people who are always going to be at the scene. They are the ones who are going to make a difference.”He added: “I think we are doing the opposite of scaring the public, we are empowering the public.
”By giving them a step-by-step system we take away the anxiety because the decisions are already made and the right decisions in the right order can save lives.
“The app is free to download and the pocketbook costs £1.99 to order.
Sue Killen, of St John Ambulance, added “First aid can be the difference between life and death. Knowing basic first aid in a terror attack or in an everyday emergency at home or in the community, will give you more confidence to deal with a crisis.
“First aid is easy to learn and our first aid techniques cover a wide range of injuries that could occur in a terrorist incident including severe bleeding, crush injuries and shock.
“We encourage anyone who would like to learn first aid to go to our website to view our first aid videos, download our app or attend a first aid course.”
Specialized squads have been deployed along roads leading into and out of Kırklareli (known in Bulgaria as Lozengrad), near the border with Bulgaria, with everyone entering or leaving the town undergoing strict inspection.
Anti-terror units are also based in the region, BTA reports, citing Turrkey’s Haberler. Additional police and riot police forces have been dispatched to the Dereköy – Malko Tarnovo border crossing to bolster security.
Earlier, Turkey’s Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu said the attacker had been identified, but did not give details.
The measure will be applied as of January 19 if approved by Parliament, he added. Kurtulmuş cited as a reason the presence of members of US-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen’s movement, which Turkey sees as a terrorist organization dubbed FETÖ and blames for the July 15 failed coup attempt. The state of emergency can be declared for a maximum period of six months, but can also be extended upon consideration.
Bulgaria’s outgoing Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov. File photo, BGNESThere is no danger for the life of a Bulgarian national injured in the assault in a nightclub in Istanbul on New Year’s Eve, outgoing Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov has said.
The injured woman, however, is “stil in intensive care” at the hospital where she earlier underwent surgery, Mitov has added in a Facebook post.
He has made it clear no other Bulgarian nationals have been hurt in the deadly attack in which 39 people lost their lives, most of them foreign nationals.
Another hypothesis, appearing in daily Habertürk and cited by Hürriyet, suggests the man might be from Xinjiang in China.Eight people have been detained so far over alleged links to the deadly attack.Earlier, the Islamic State (IS) group claimed responsibility for the attack.
In a statement quoted by international media, it says the raid was part of “the blessed operations that Islamic State is conducting against the protector of the cross, Turkey”.
It adds “a heroic soldier of the caliphate struck one of the most famous nightclubs where the Christians celebrate their apostate holiday.
“Among at least 25 foreign nationals killed in the atack, a majority were Arab Muslims, coming from Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Lebanon, Lybia, Jordan, Iraq and elsewhere. Eleven of the dead were Turkish nationals and one was a Turkish-Belgium dual national.Meanwhile, details emerge about the tragic shooting.
The BBC quotes Turkish media as saying the assailant fired up to 180 bullets.Reportedly, he arried by taxi. His attack lasted seven minutes.
Up to 700 people were marking the New Year at the Reina nightclub at the time of the shooting, according to Hürriyet Daily News. Authorities say a massive manhunt is in place for the attacker.
Sixty-nine were injured (eight of them critically) by the attacker who entered the popular club and started raving through the crowd, Hürriyet Daily News quotes Istanbul Governor Vasip Şahin as saying.Twenty-four of the victims are foreign nationals, and their number could rise, since only 21 of those killed have been indentified so far.
The development unfolded early into New Year celebrations, before 01:30 local time (22:30 GMT), or 01:45 according to the Interior Minister, Süleyman Soylu. The attacker is said to be still at large.CNN Türk reports the man who entered the club was wearing a Santa Claus costume, although other footage aired by local TV stations shows he was dressed in black. Some witnesses report several attackers were firing.
Between 50 and 60 ambulances were deployed to the scene.Reina, a famous nightclub located by the Bosphorus, is frequented by celebrities and, according to the BBC, is popular with foreigners. Hundreds of people are thought to have been incide at the time the attacker opened fire.
As with the previous attack on December 10, Turkey’s media watchdog announced a media blackout over security concerns.2017’s first attack in Turkey added to a death toll of 275 victims and thousands wounded throughout 2016 in major bombings or shootings by the Islamic State (IS) group, the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) or its offshoots.
Arkan Aydemir, a former lawmaker, told the BBC over the phone the attack was a symbolic target against secular lifestyle and was “quite similar to the Paris attacks [on November 13, 2015].”
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.